Saturday, August 1, 2015

5 Favorite Reads

scary close

So after spending virtually all of last year not picking up a single book I was craving to jump back into reading. I didn't realize how much I had missed it and how lifegiving it was to take time every night to read. I have averaged a book a week most of the year so far (with a few lags here and there) and my to-read list grows almost daily... so many good books out there and not enough time!

I love reading book recommendation lists so I figured I should post mine. I'll preface this by pointing out that I'm obviously into best-seller books... I mean, they are best-sellers for a reason right? So if you're looking for some cool indie books, this ain't that! That said, these were all books I read in just a couple days because I just couldn't put them down. Lots of late nights and trying to squeeze in pages while cooking dinner happened reading these.

Here we go!

top 5 books


1. Unbroken
I just heard in passing that this was a good read and decided to give it a shot. So much more than just a good read... it was captivating and SO unbelievable (in the best way). It's a true story of a WWII veteran and his whole story from childhood and beyond is incredible and inspiring. Plus its always good to read about history. (They butchered the movie by the way, just read the book!)

2. Gone Girl
This is a really fun one. Her writing style is phenomenal and sucks you in immediately. It's a dark, twisty, insane quick read. I can't even say much without having spoilers sooo just read it! The movie is great too, but like usual the book is better.

3. The Husband's Secret
This is written in multiple first person narrative and it takes some time to get familiar with all the characters but it all comes together perfectly and about a quarter of the way through I was so invested I couldn't bear to stop reading. The story unfolds at the perfect pace and the payoff is far and away better than I was imagining. Also, the title and cover makes it seem like a weird romance novel but it totally isn't. I think I finished this 500 page book in 3 days... that might be a record for me.

4. The Girl On The Train
Another multiple first person narrative and this is the definition of a page turner. I know this has been on the top sellers list pretty much since it came out and it initially didn't sound that interesting to me but once I started I couldn't stop (there's a theme here..) and if I had to pick an absolute favorite from the year this one might take the cake. It moved me to tears, it was suspenseful and it was riveting through and through.

5. Yes Please 
A book written by Amy Poehler, thats all it takes to convince me it's a great read. But seriously, this was super funny and really interesting to read about her childhood, her early comedy years, her years at SNL and all that. I even cried. She's perfect.

Honorable mention: Scary Close by Donald Miller
I feel weird that I didn't include this just in the main list because I read this one twice already this year and feel like I'll read it over and over forever but when I was making the list I was only thinking about novels/memoirs and this is more of an inspirational book. But I need to still include it!
Anyway, this is the first donald miller book I've read so I can't say I've been a fan forever but this book alone makes me his biggest fan. He speaks so open and honestly about dropping your "act" and being yourself no matter what the cost. In a world where we're so caught up in impressing people and virtually presenting an entirely different version of ourselves, this book was like a breath of fresh air. He talks candidly about the risk involved in impressing less people in order to connect deeply with a few people and the freedom that comes along with that. I wish I could force everyone in this generation to read it.

-------------------------------------------
Any must-read books you've read recently I should add to my reading line-up for the rest of the year?

9 comments:

  1. The Donald Miller book sounds great. I've been reminded over and over again this week of that 'be yourself' message and it always needs reiterating. I loved Gone Girl and Yes Please. You have inspired me to give Girl on a Train a go. Even though they are best sellers, it still is good to have a recommendation from a real person :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These all sound quite interesting. I need to grab a couple of books to take to the cottage (I'm almost done the one I'm reading) I'm leaning towards Scary Close and the girl on the train.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you on Goodreads.com? I find it incredibly helpful in keeping track of my ever-growing to-read list. I appreciate the reviews from other avid readers and seeing what others who share my taste in books are reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ^ditto on the goodreads account! tell the wolves i'm home, all the light we cannot see, the glass castle, a homemade life, where'd you go bernadette, little bee, the book thief

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE reading. And I LOVE reading about what other people are reading. Do you keep a goodreads account? I started keeping one so I could keep track of all the great books people recommended to me. Now, whenever I need something new to read, I have a diverse list to choose from. If you liked "Girl on the Train" you might want to give "Until You're Mine" by Samantha Hayes. SO suspenseful and gripping.

    Ugh, don't you just wish you were somehow related to Amy Poehler!? I LOVE HER SO MUCH.

    I'm currently reading "Modern Romance" by Aziz Ansari and really enjoying it.

    I also finally decided to see what all the fuss was about when it comes to Jojo Moyes. I picked up "Me Before You" and devoured it. Just read she is releasing a continuation of the story this September. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Abi! Thanks so much for the recs. I've breezed through Scary Close and Gone Girl which I both loved so I truly look forward to picking up the others! Love to you and yours xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you liked Gone Girl and The Girl On The Train, you MUST read The Good Girl! I read that book faster than I've read any book in a really long time. The way it is written is SO interesting that it's very hard to put down! It's told from multiple points of views and.. It's just great! It's hard to believe that The Good Girl is the authors debut novel. Can't wait to read more from her.

    Thanks for sharing your list! :)

    I'm going to also recommend the GoodReads app. It's pretty great for book enthusiast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this list... I was obsessed with The Husband's Secret and have been meaning to read Gone Girl & The Girl on the Train, so I downloaded them to my Kindle just now. Thanks for the suggestions :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for the list!
    Definitely want to check these out now... I've been starting to read a lot more these past few months. It feels so good, since I know that deep inside I'm still the bookworm I used to be, I just don't find the time.

    Valentina

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, please say hi!

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS