Wednesday, September 8, 2010

. . .

This week I..

finished sewing a vintage inspired apron
bought a pumpkin (!!)
made a pumpkin spice latte
hung new bunting above our bed
cross-stitched a bicycle
and made the most delicious soft pretzels.. twice. (recipe below)

IMG_0419
IMG_0414
IMG_0422
IMG_0421
IMG_0441
IMG_0484
IMG_0464
IMG_0489
Soft Pretzels
Soft Pretzels

The most delicious soft pretzels

(wetzel and auntie annes who?)

Makes 8

(Note: Once you've shaped each pretzel you can then put them in the freezer. When you're ready to bake, just add 10-15 seconds to the boil time and a few minutes to bake time.)

  • 1 1/2 cups warm (110 to 115 degrees F) water
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 package active dry yeast (2 1/2 teaspoons)
  • 22 ounces all-purpose flour, approximately 4 1/2 cups
  • 2 ounces unsalted butter, melted
  • Vegetable oil, for pan
  • 10 cups water
  • 2/3 cup baking soda

Combine the water, sugar and kosher salt in the bowl of a stand mixer and sprinkle the yeast on top. Allow to sit for 5 minutes or until the mixture begins to foam. Add the flour and butter and, using the dough hook attachment, mix on low speed until well combined. Change to medium speed and knead until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the side of the bowl, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the dough from the bowl, clean the bowl and then oil it well with vegetable oil. Return the dough to the bowl, cover with plastic wrap and sit in a warm place for approximately 50 to 55 minutes or until the dough has doubled in size.

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line 2 half-sheet pans with parchment paper and lightly brush with the vegetable oil. Set aside.

Bring the 10 cups of water and the baking soda to a rolling boil in an 8-quart saucepan or roasting pan.

In the meantime, turn the dough out onto a slightly oiled work surface and divide into 8 equal pieces. Roll out each piece of dough into a 24-inch rope. Make a U-shape with the rope, holding the ends of the rope, cross them over each other and press onto the bottom of the U in order to form the shape of a pretzel. Place onto the parchment-lined half sheet pan.

Place the pretzels into the boiling water, 1 by 1, for 30 seconds. Remove them from the water using a large flat spatula. Return to the half sheet pan, sprinkle with kosher salt. Bake until dark golden brown in color, approximately 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack for at least 5 minutes before serving.

Source: Alton brown

17 comments:

  1. I'm thinking it's high time I got me a new apron. One like yours would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you tell me where you got the pattern for the apron? Your pretzels look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the pretzels look soooo good! i am going to try this recipe next week :) thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is the cutest apron! i've looked for an apron forever and i can never find one that i like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That apron is so cute! And those pretzels look delicious. :)

    :o)Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a soft pretzel recipe that I like, but haven't made in forever. The pretzels don't taste nearly as good the next day, however. How do these keep? I'm glad you gave instructions to freeze them, as making just enough for that day is probably the way to go. I'll have to test this recipe against mine when I'm feeling ambitious, (and hungry)

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is definitely a significant difference in the way they taste the next day. I would recommend eating them the day they are baked. Which is why freezing them is so helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd suggest adding a light egg wash to the pretzels to add a bit more color and flavor to them (and helps the salt stick, too!). Just mix a single egg yolk with a tablespoon of water and brush over each one before baking. I've made them a few times using the recipe on Food Network's site and they *ARE* amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your sister needs a apron! Christmas idea. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so so much for posting this recipe- they're delicious!!

    -amanda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my! I am soooo in love with your blog! Sooo cute!!
    xoxo
    Rachael

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both your sisters need an aprin... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your white nails! I tried it and it looked like whiteout. :) But yours look awesome. Maybe I just need to practice...

    Your blog is lovely to look at and equally lovely to read, by the way! I will definitely be trying your natural deodorant recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want have to know more and more, on your blog just interesting and useful information.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are just so good, I want to thank you for the recipe! Also, I've started using about half the dough and wrapping it around hot dogs. I cook it exactly the same way, boil it for 30 seconds and then bake for 14 minutes, and they are FANTASTIC that way! I like them, but my 5 year old son loses his little mind for them. They're his absolute favorite thing right now because he can help me make them and then have his favorite food wrapped in something helped me bake. Such fun! Thanks again for the terrific recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. awesome site ..I dont see where I can follow you

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, please say hi!

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS